“Liking” My Birthday is Annoying, According to Facebook

It was the meanest thing ever said to me on my birthday.

It wasn’t even said by someone, but instead by a cold, grey computer screen.  I was annoying.  Or really, I had annoying behavior, according to the masters of manners and moderators at Facebook.

Like me. Just not 250 times.

You’re probably familiar with the social media tradition to wish your friends on Facebook a happy birthday by writing on their wall.  I have a lot of lovely friends, and many of them wrote very nice things in honor of my special day.  I am always amazed at the number of people who take a minute  to write a little something.  I heard from family, former co-workers, a high school crush, a guy I listen to on the radio, people who know me from television and people I’ve never met. Some guy said I looked 25. (God bless him)  While sipping a birthday cocktail, I started going through and liking each post on my wall. I thought it would be nice to  acknowledge the birthday wishes, just a little thumbs up, a “like” – mostly a thank you for taking a minute to wish me a happy birthday.

But somewhere around the 250th “like”, the masters at Facebook put an end to it all.

Up popped a box, all important looking.  It warned me that I had engaged  in “annoying behavior” by over-using the “like” button.  Not only was I called annoying, they suspended my “liking” privileges for 24 hours.  I could not “like” a new baby picture.  I could not “like” a job update.   I could not “like” that someone changed their status to “engaged”.  Couldn’t “like” a darn thing.  And if I tried to “like” anything?  The FB police said they would shut down and ban my account.  Ban me.  From Facebook. For liking my birthday wishes.  On my wall. I wish I could have been in that Zuckerberg meeting when they figured out the threshold for how many “likes” are legal. (Cue dream sequence music)

“How many times can you like something a day?” says scruffy 21-year-old guy, slurping Red Bull and wearing baggy shorts.

“Dude. Why like anything?” asks Zuckerberg, trying to re-wire an old Commodore Vic-20 into the latest laptop.

“Because it saves you from writing anything. Just click, and like it.” yawns scruffy kid.

“Ok. How about 249?” suggests the Zuck.

“You got it,” as scruffy kid starts programming like a madman.

“But liking 250 things in one sitting? No way. They hit 250 and we kick them off Facebook. Forever. And brand them annoying,” declares Zuckerberg and leaves the room to take a call from Al Gore.

Ok, so maybe it didn’t happen that way. But clearly, annoying is in the eye of the beholder.  How about banning the person who “pokes” me everyday?  Or sends me questions constantly like, “Does Christy eat dirt? Click here to find out!” What about harvesting stuff on Farmville or whatever. I guess some might find the pictures I post of my kids annoying.  Or when I vent about car bumper stickers.  That’s probably annoying too.  So, in the social media world I guess we just can’t “like” everything.

I recently started up on Google +.  Last night it recommended people I should add to my circles. The list included, you guessed it, Mark Zuckerberg.

Dislike.

About these ads

20 Comments on ““Liking” My Birthday is Annoying, According to Facebook”

1. Christine A. Smith says:

They are stupid. Also, I love your blog. Please keep up the excellent work.

2. Beth Mayne says:

I was sitting at Jaycee Park watching Abby play soccer and I was literally LOL! Love your posts, Christy! I look forward to them every week! Beth Mayne

3. Marco Amaro says:

No, dude, it happens just like that. Not that I work there. But you painted a picture, and I’m buying. Programmer dude needs to incorporate an algorithm that exempts the birthday person from using up all his “likes” during his B-Day. So basically, something like “B-Day Likes – Everyday Likes = Zero Likes = I can like other things in Facebook as long as they are not 250 plus. Algorithms rule!

• Marco, since math usually scares me and makes me break out into a sweat, I’ll trust your algorithm solution for the folks at FB! They should listen to you! Thanks for the read

4. Ha! Oh so true. Thanks for venting…I mean writing :)

5. TrishFromMich says:

Uh, I understood there would be no math…..heh heh. We McDonalds don’t do so well on the math front, but dammit, should be allowed to “like” indefinitely. What if M. Zuckerberg met with th McD sisters? I’d hate to see that supernerd showdown!

6. Christy, please allow me to be the very first to wish you a very happy birthday.

7. Geri Hollowell says:

Happy birthday Christy!!! I know you like this so you don’t have to push the LIKE!!!

8. Amber Housey says:

It’s his way of demeaning you and making you feel smaller than he. humph! Happy F-ing Birthday! Oh well. Funny story. “like””like””like””like””like””like””like””like”

9. Jamie says:

I have been put in the Twitter sin bin but not sure about Facebook. Thanks for sharing your struggles and trying to acknowledge everyone.

10. The fact that Mark Zuckerberg was one of the people that G+ recommended adding to your Circles simply takes this post to a whole new level of awesomeness.

11. Frank Hamet says:

Hi Christy. You and I share the same birthday and yesterday I actually “liked” all the birthday wishes on my FB page and there were well over 300. Maybe they’ve changed it?