3 Days + 3 Fish = 0 Pets

What started out as a great idea for a gift for my daughter’s 8th birthday has turned into a disastrous lesson in death, fish care and lying.  And has made my father laugh really hard.

My last blog detailed the big decision to get a fish.  The first pet for our family.  And the FEAR I had that the fish would die.  Eventually.   But little did I know that the fish we got for Caroline, would die 10 HOURS AFTER WE GOT IT.  Oh, and the two replacement fish?  Take a wild guess.

On Sunday, Caroline’s birthday, we presented her with a two and a half-gallon fish tank with pretty blue rocks and a plant.  The water was treated and all ready with whatever you needed for a fish tank.

“Oh!” she yelled.  “A fish!  I’m getting a fish!  A pet of my own!  I knew this was going to be the BEST BIRTHDAY EVER!”

Caroline and Shimmer #1

Yes, we told her we were going to the pet store that afternoon so she could pick out the fish herself.   It was a huge outing for the whole family.  After watching the crowded goldfish tank, Caroline spotted the one.  The fish of her dreams.  She was so excited, she threw her arms around me, saying “thank you, mommy!”  She was growing up, getting her very own pet and ready for responsibility.  My eyes got watery.  Probably from the toxic smell of the ferrets nearby.

We took our new fish home, and she/he was promptly named “Shimmer”.  Shimmer seemed to like being perched on top of Caroline’s book shelf.  She had adoring fans that peered into her tank and tapped on the glass.  My husband and I looked at each other as if to say, see?  We got a fish. Life is good.

No, it isn’t.

Monday morning when I went into Caroline’s room, she was standing at the tank.

“Shimmer isn’t really moving, Mom.”

Shimmer was hanging out under the filter, nose down.  Clearly DOA.  My worst goldfish fears confirmed. The thing can’t even live ONE DAY? With barely a thought – the lying began.

“I think Shimmer is still adjusting to the tank and her new environment,” I say smoothly.  “She’ll be okay by the time you come home from school.”  Lie, lie, lie.

“I’m kind of worried,” Caroline says.

“She’ll be fine,” I reassure.

Caroline goes to school.  And Operation Shimmer #2 begins.  The idea?  Make sure the tank is working, the water isn’t contaminated and get a fish that looks EXACTLY like Shimmer for the swap.  Jamie takes the lifeless fish and a sample of the water back to the pet store.  Water?  Fine, says the store guy.  Must have been a bad fish.  So we get the Deuce.  Caroline comes home from school and sees the Deuce (Shimmer) and is happy. She feeds it, does homework and goes to dance class.  My parents stop over and check in on the fish.

“Hate to tell you this,” my dad says with a chuckle.  “But your fish isn’t doing so well.”

WHAT?

I run upstairs, and it is true.  The Deuce looks like a drunk, listlessly floating toward the filter. It’s still alive, but barely.  And later that night, after Caroline falls asleep, it dies.  Now I’m good and mad.  I didn’t know that it would be so darn difficult to keep a goldfish alive for at least a day.   Then I wonder, is there some kind of secret killer chemical in the air?  In my water?  Are we all going to grow a third eyeball and this is the first sign?

So Tuesday morning, yet another lie.  There is something wrong with the tank, I say, and daddy had to take it (along with Shimmer) to the pet store to fix it.  Caroline heads off to school.

The mastermind at the pet store tells us that the fish we had are too big for the tank.  Our lovely, two and a half-gallon tank is not big enough for one stinking goldfish.  Really? Again, we had multiple fish in a bowl when I was little – no filter, no water treatment and they survived (Alas, goldfish rearing, much like parenting, has become a lot more complicated in the last 20 years). Now we have to get a smaller goldfish and cross our fingers.  We came up with the genius story of “Shimmer was too big for the tank, so we took her back to the store and got a new, smaller one.”

Believe me, I’m not a fan of parental lying (as I’ve blogged about before), and yes, I guess I should have told the truth. I panicked.  Of course Caroline will have to deal with the death of a goldfish some day.  But COME ON, not 10 hours after she gets it.

We presented Caroline with “Shimmer” the third (or Trey).

“No,” she said wisely.  “This isn’t Shimmer.  Shimmer was a special name for my first special fish.  And since Shimmer is back at the pet store, I’ll call this one Goldy.”  Perhaps the curse of Shimmer is over.  We watched Goldy all day for signs of impending death and felt confident the third fish was the charm.

Wrong.

Wednesday morning, Caroline was standing at the tank yet again.  Goldy?  DEAD.  And stuck to the side of the filter.  No getting around this one.

“Caroline, I’m so sorry, but Goldy is dead.”

She starts to cry.  “Is it my fault?  Did I feed it too much?”

I reassure her that it is NOT her fault, that sometimes fish have a tough time getting used to a new tank.  Where did we go wrong?? Three fish in three days.  It makes you want to swear off pets forever.  We’re not even sure if we should GET another fish.  My father tells me we’re going to laugh at this some day.  Sigh.

A pet rock is looking pretty good right now.

About these ads

12 Comments on “3 Days + 3 Fish = 0 Pets”

1. Naja says:

Try a different pet store. it sounds like there’s something wrong at the one you went to. I mean, even the ones from the freaking FAIRS live longer! Also, make sure the water temp isn’t too cold, sometimes the shock of temp change is too much for the lil guys. Good luck, fish are great once you get one that lives lol.

2. John says:

Little Nancy was in the garden filling in a hole when her neighbor peered over the fence. Interested in what the youngster was up to, he politely asked, “What are you doing there, Nancy?”

“My goldfish died,” replied Nancy tearfully without looking up, “and I’ve just buried him.” The neighbor was very concerned. “That’s an awfully big hole for a goldfish, isn’t it?”

Nancy patted down the last heap of dirt then replied, “That’s because he’s inside your %$#@&%$# cat.”

I agree, a pet rock is less work. Sorry for your loss.

3. John says:

Sometimes it takes a week or so for the water to properly “cycle” and gain the right bacteria count, and to make sure the water doesn’t have too much chlorine (faucet water does), nitrates, nitrites, etc. Store testing won’t always show that. It sounds weird, but drop some food into the tank w/no fish in it. As it decays, it will change the chemistry to a more beneficial state.

Did you wash the gravel before putting it in the tank, or just dump it right in the tank? The temperature comments are right on as well. When adding a new fish, float the bag with the fish in it for about 15 minutes in the tank and the water temps will start to match…no shock to the fishes system that way.

Good Luck.

• John, thanks for the chemistry lesson. We did not wash the rocks, so maybe they were killer blue rocks. We did use the treatment stuff for the water, and let the tank sit for a few days w/o a fish… but we’ll try dropping food in next time. Man, I need a PHD in fish care. Thanks for reading!!

4. Christine says:

Ok, your first post about fish made me laugh, but this is hilarious. And yes, you will laugh at this too some day. Your first post made me think, that our fish had lasted quite a long time and we had been lucky. NO JOKE, I woke up the next morning to my son crying. The heater malfunctioned and the fish we had for over 8 months were ALL dead. Needless to say we will be starting from scratch again. We never had luck with gold fish either, but the other smaller fish are usually pretty good. Try the Neon Tetras or the Mollys….they seem to be pretty hardy. Good luck :)

5. Amber Housey says:

Laughing hysterically but empathetically. That is funny. Why is it mine last for 20 years and I want them gone in 2 days. That is weird that all three died. Sorry to hear that. Phhfft. They have those fishtanks with pretend fish swimming around.

good story.

6. Laurie Galuardi says:

Been through this w/ fish, hedgehogs, bearded dragons, gerbils and a bunny named Pongo, I did cry when he died. They are way too much work, get a kitten, provided no allergies. So not kidding, They litter train immediately, eat when they want, do not have to give them milk, in fact they shouldn’t even have milk that often. they purr you to sleep, they do however preen themselves so much that they get hairballs and those are gross, but if you teach your daughter that brushing him/her is her responsibility, no worries. Added plus if you go through the shelter, Humane Shelter, or a rescue facility, a kitten will be saved.

7. Desiree says:

My brother bought three gold fish for his sons and named them “Flush”, “Me”, “Now”…Flush is the only one still living

8. Kiki says:

You should try a Betta fish instead. They are easier to take care of, live pretty long, but not too long, don’t die easy, and they are colorful. You can find one in any color, or even multiple colors. Also, I think maybe the filtration killed the goldfish.